As for the apartment itself, we got it at a steal, as they were remodeling and set the price lower for those who traversed the tide of tile being tilled in the bathroom and kitchen. Set to be done by the time we move in, we're incredibly excited to be moving in together. But it wasn't as easy as my excitement may make it seem. We applied for three total apartments, and the first one was supposed to be the one. However, it was a two bedroom, and our roommate-to-be felt it best to go another route. So, we rescinded the application, and started our search anew.
Due to having lost so much time from searching and trying to process payment and forms for another place, we were kind of in a jam. We did brand new searches for one bedrooms immediately. Unfortunately, he had just started training at a new job, and wasn't free during the day anymore to look at places. Instead, we had me go to 18 apartments (he was able to make it to 6, though) to find the new one. I found one with an agent, and she sniffed my delight in it... and then it went downhill. Suddenly, she states how fast we need to make a decision to get a new place, because time is running out. She vouches for the place I admitted liking, and pressured me into contacting Michael and getting him onboard ASAP. Did I agree with her? Absolutely. Did I need to extra urgency? No. But her point was still valid. Armed with videos of the place, Michael and I agreed to go for it! We went to her office late that night and put in a form. She said we'd hear back the next morning about our place in the landlord's approval queue, and then we'd be contacted either the end of the day tomorrow, or the day after with the results.
We felt good about it. We did. But then the next day came, and we didn't get a call in the morning. We waited. We didn't have a call by 5pm (end of the business day) regarding the apartment at all, despite being promised we would receive contact by noon. We decided we had nothing to lose by looking at more apartments, so I kept my appointment with this other really nice agent (we had used him in our first search, but never went with his options). And that's when we found it: a place that was cheaper, bigger, included a couple utilities, and was a slightly better location. They were even remodeling the kitchen and the bathroom with brand new tile! We had to take it.
That night, we decided to rescind our application with the other agent and company, and begin the process for applying for the other apartment the next day. We got an email back from the other agent, in which we were berated for taking back the application. They sought to paint us as incredulous. Michael encouraged me to respond, as we had to be sure they wouldn't try to take the rent check to the bank that I had already submitted. So, I reviewed our signed contract, which stated the check would be cashed and taken to escrow after we were approved. However, the agent stated we would be notified when the process of that approval began. I explained to the agent that since they didn't officially begin the process with our notification, we owe them nothing per their own terms, and we had already cancelled the check through my bank. I never heard back from her, and I know that we can never use her or her company in the future. But her profile pops up for me on Facebook as one of the "People You May Know," so it's like we're still talking.
Having just cancelled a second apartment, and not having official approval for the third, and time running out, this turned into a real fight or flight situation. We both had made arrangements with our previous landlords to vacate our individual places by the 1st, and couldn't call "backsies." If this one didn't go through, we were royally screwed (and not in a good way that porn tries to convince you is possible), having no place to live, and one less major company to use to find a place.
The next day was a Saturday, and we were told not to expect a call until maybe Monday. To our surprise, we were approved by 2pm Saturday, called, and worked out a time for me to drop off the fees Monday afternoon. Just like *that* we were on our way to a new place, just in time! We arranged the fees, and had begun arranging our moving plans... to then find out the apartment might not be renovated in time for our move in. Earlier, we had signed a paper in which they promised it all to be done in time, but now got a different story. They said they'd toss in a dishwasher for free on top of everything, since the kitchen was now gutted, but that still didn't replace the lack of assurance that what we signed up for might not be coming true.
Regardless of how that plays out, though, we have to move, and only time will tell if the place is done in time, and it's the place of our dreams. We spent a lot of time searching for places, then lost the time, burned bridges with another company, and now don't even know what to expect when moving in... but the possible end result could be beautiful. And that's worth it, I think.
What's the point of this story? I have no idea... just an observation on life. I'm excited for us to start this part of our lives together, but can't help see a story about how good things don't come easy. And sometimes you have to risk a lot to get a lot?